Tuesday 8 March 2011

Papa- Intermediate level-Teaching English through songs



Everyday my papa would work to help to make ends meet
To see that we would eat, keep those shoes upon my feet
Every night my papa would take and tuck me in my bed
Kiss me on my head after all the prayers were said
Growing up with him was easy time just flew on by
The years began to fly, he aged and so did I

I could tell that mama wasn't well
Papa knew and deep down so did she, so did she
When she died my papa broke down and cried
All he said was "God, why not take me?"

Every night he sat there sleeping in his rocking chair
He never went upstairs, all because she wasn't there
Then one day my papa said "Son, I'm proud the way you've grown.
Make it on your own. Oh, I'll be OK alone"

Every time I kiss my children papa's words ring true
"Your children live through you they'll grow and leave you, too"
I remember every word my papa used to say
I live them everyday he taught me well that way

Every night my papa would take and tuck me in my bed
Kiss me on my head when my prayers were said
Every night my papa would take and tuck me in my bed
Tuck me in my bed after my prayers were said ...

Paul  Anka 


Match the meaning...



Idioms/phrasal verbs
Their meaning
to make ends meet

To crush; to overwhelm

to break down
To succeed by yourself

to live through you (someone)
To experience life through someone  
to make it on your own

To get older/to age

to ring true

To pass quickly

to grow up

From your heart

to fly on by

To be true

deep down
to have enough money to pay for your basic expenses



Comparing the father figure in this song with own or the other father figures students know;

Questions;

  1. Did your father read stories to you at night? Did he put you in bed?
  2. Do you say prayers before you go to bed?
  3. In your family or in other families you know when/at what age do children leave the house?
  4. Would you put your own children in bed and read them stories? Why/ why not?
  5. What are the advantages of storytelling for children?
  6. Do you have good relations with your father? Can you share your thoughts, worries, relationships and problems with him?
  7. What kind of a parent do you want to be? Would you like to listen to your children when they want to talk to you? 
The websites that explaining traditions in some countries where our students come from;










Prepared by T. Bauhofer












No comments:

Post a Comment